We had already made our baby Jesus walnut ornaments, and as she was looking at it, she said to me, "Hey! This looks like the bed Thumbelina sleeps in!" and then she ran to show me a picture in Sylvia Long's Thumbelina.
I thought we could easily make a Thumbelina ornament with some felt, so we went to work.
If you want to make one, too, here's what you'll need:
half a walnut shell (for the bed)
an acorn (for the head)
hot glue gun
1. Cut your felt. We used purple for the bottom layer of flower petals and one piece of pink for a large rose petal blanket. A long hair-like piece of yellow will serve as her hair. You could also use yarn if you wanted to.
2. Layer the purple petals around the outside of the bed. Fill it with a few cotton balls, to make it full.
3. Draw a face on an acorn and glue into place.
4. Lay the rose petal on top and secure with glue.
5. Attach a ribbon for hanging, and she is ready to go on the tree!
She would use regular glue instead of the hot glue gun which works just as well, but takes longer to dry.
Do you have any book-inspired ornaments on your tree? Please share with me! :)
linking to mmm