It took awhile, but we are finally finished with the dollhouse project. It was a lot of fun and a lot of work. I originally limited myself to three boxes (and secretly hoped to do more if I had time), but here we are and I still only have three.
But they are three nice rooms. And the Cinderella doll is very happy, so that is all that matters.
Here’s the tour.
Floors: The floors are made from faux wood contact paper strips over a painted floor. (Similar to this wood grain contact paper.)
Walls: The two opposing walls are papered in floral/bird scrapbook paper (Melody Ross Designer Collection: Homespun Chic). I used Mod Podge to adhere and seal the paper.
The floor to ceiling wall of “tile” is actually created with white office labels over a painted wall and sealed with Mod Podge.
Shelving: The open shelving on the wall of tile is constructed out of two popsicle sticks that I painted white. They are held on by hot glue.
I already had the stove/oven unit that I purchased at a kids sale last year. I have no information about it.
The TV also came with that lot.
The brass table and chairs I purchased on ebay–again, no information, but I have seen several listings for this set on ebay.
Here’s a closer look at the TV–and the cheetah TV stand. I tried to tape the TV to the wall, but it kept falling, so the cheetah made himself useful.
Mr. Cheetah’s presence reminds me of a really great etsy shop called Wild Life Prints.
Wall Art: Giant Spirograph Art created by myself. If I can’t have one in my own house, I’ll have one in the dollhouse. (Inspired by Amy’s actual Giant Spirograph Art.)
Shelf Accessories: random buttons, a sparkly #8 sticker, dollhouse toaster, cup, and bent metal circles taken from an old dress (all found in our house), the brass basket and bowl showed up with the brass furniture lot I purchased from ebay.
The Art Studio.
Floors: Again, strips of wood-grain contact paper and sealed with Mod Podge.
Walls: Opposing walls and ceiling painted slate gray. Back wall papered with map scrapbook paper.
Furniture and Accessory details:
The desk and easel were pieces we already owned. The artwork on the mini canvas is done by Juliet.
Brass bird cage from ebay lot.
Cork stool found in junk drawer.
Fancy rug cut from Elle Decor magazine. I didn’t glue it down–it is just resting on top of the the floor.
Marilyn wall art cut from a DIY magazine.
Rhino Head: This is my biggest splurge for the dollhouse. Created by Ann of Amazing Miniatures. I was surfing etsy one day for dollhouse inspiration and came across this rhino. I fell in love and ordered him immediately. I wish he were larger so I could hang him in our home. But then he probably would have cost me more than $12. But still. You know what I mean.
Floors: Same as the other two rooms: contact paper, paint, and Mod Podge.
Walls: Mod Podged scrapbook paper.
Furniture and Accessories:
We already had the bunk bed.
Mirror and coat rack from brass ebay lot.
The white nightstand is a repurposed hairspray cap.
Spirograph wall art by me.
Painting and white chair cut out from Elle Decor Magazine.
The exterior is covered in white contact paper. The numbers were cut out of a magazine.
The dollhouse is living on Juliet’s bookshelf for now. It’s gotten lots of use.
It’s come a long way from the three cardboard boxes we started with (see before shot here.)
I’m happy with the way it turned out and the process of designing and decorating was a lot of fun.
A lot of the detail work was too difficult for a four-year-old’s fingers, so I look forward to trying this again in a few years when Juliet can have a bigger role. She did enjoy peeling the back off the flooring and tiles and she helped with painting.
We both had fun together.
If you have a daughter, I definitely recommend a dollhouse project.
Thanks again to Emily for creating this fun challenge! It was like being on mini-Design Star except no one was following me around with a camera. 🙂
Check out the other dollhouses here!