[illustration from Brian Wildsmith's 12 Days of Christmas]
After the first several days of overly-ambitious projects, we had a few days of really low-key easy ornaments. But of course, I could not hold myself back from this one...11 ladies dancing was really over the top, but I had a lot of fun with it.
I had some left over clothespins from another project, so I decided to make the ladies out of those. (In 1st grade I made a clothespin ballerina which was my inspiration.) I used all kinds of packaging from our recycle box to clothe these dancers. The easiest way to make a skirt was to cut out a circle.
I then snipped a small hole in the middle.
Then slid the clothespin into the skirt. I added a little glue around the waist to keep it in place.
Next, I cut a little top shaped like this out of felt. One for each girl.
Lastly, I drew on a face with a thin tipped sharpie.
I placed all the ladies on a tray with some yarn for their hair. (All I had on hand was yellow and green.) Juliet's task was to glue on the hair. (You can see the various packaging used for their clothing: tidy cats, honey wheat bread, trader joe's blue corn chips, clementine netting, bubble wrap, etc.)
She really liked these ornaments and did manage to glue on some hair, but was more interested in playing with the "dolls". This one was her favorite. I think she liked the skirt made from a chik-fil-a drink cap.